IQAC Best Practices I
TITLE OF THE PRACTICE
Research promotional policy to improve R&D Activities and Accreditation
OBJECTIVES OF THE PRACTICE
- Enhancing the research publications in peer reviewed journals and conference to improve Research and Consultancy
- Sudden changes in accreditation procedures, introduction of ranking system such as NIRF Ranking has imposed great challenge to improve research culture in the Institution.
- Adhiyamaan College of Engineering is a well-established academic institution.
- Majority of the postgraduate engineering programmes were started between the academic years 1992 to 2006. Changing the orientation of faculty from teaching to enhancing the research culture and encouraging the faculty to improve the qualification from PG to PhD was a major challenge.
- Establishing the Research and development centers at Center of Excellence was a major challenge.
- Deploying the research culture in the institution, instilling a research culture to improve the institutional environment, providing the required infrastructure support system, getting the grants from the various funding agencies for sustaining was a major challenge.
- Possibilities for collaboration, locally, regionally, and globally was a major concern for the institution.
- To change the mind-set and instill research culture, faculty with postgraduate qualification were deputed to leading institutions for workshops, encouraged to publish/present the papers in national and international peer reviewed conferences and to register for PhD.
- Department of Mechanical Engineering, Department of Computer Science Engineering, Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Department of Physics and Department of Chemistry are recognized as research centers from Anna University.
- Faculties with PhD were encouraged to apply for external funding. Seed Money for projects up to Rs.200000 is introduced from the institution.
- Institute has established one center of excellence in Un-manned Aerial Vehicle. NIDHI PRAYAS center has been established in the institution to promote and develop high end entrepreneurship for Science and Technology (S&T) manpower as well as self-employment by utilizing S&T infrastructure and by using S&T methods.
EVIDENCE OF SUCCESS
- External funding improved every year
- Seed money for the research projects has been initiated and few projects have been funded
- Research publications in peer reviewed journal improved every year.
- Institution has organized national level Conferences / Seminars / Symposiums / Workshops / FDP / SDP / STTP frequently.
- Institute has established one center of excellence in Un-manned Aerial Vehicle.
- NIDHI PRAYAS center has been established in the institution
- Numbers of PhD research scholars were increased.
- More than 50 MoU’s with reputed Industries and Institutions.
PROBLEMS ENCOUNTERED AND RESOURCES REQUIRED
- To train the faculty in outcome based education by conducting series of Pedagogy programmes, required good resource persons and time consuming. Training must be a continuous process to train all newly recruited faculties.
- Improving facilities for research and establishing separate research and development centers require huge financial commitment.
- Establishing the Collaboration with Industry is very difficult and it is still ongoing process.
- Getting funding from Non Govt. organizations is becoming very difficult year by year.
- Admission of Quality of the PhD and Post Graduate students is big challenge.
ANY OTHER INFORMATION THAT MAY BE RELEVANT FOR ADOPTING/ IMPLEMENTING THE BEST PRACTICE IN OTHER INSTITUTIONS
- Establish Technological Business Incubator(TBI) for improving research activities of faculties and students
- Establish more centre for excellence for improving experimental learning of faculties and students
- Effective implementation of product development based research activities to receive more grants from government and Non-government agencies